SATURDAY, MARCH 7th, 2020 – 12 pm TO 4 pm
ROBERT ALONSO COMMUNITY CENTER
16500 NW 87th Ave, Miami Lakes, FL 33018
Job-a-Palooza is a fun-filled event where local and surrounding area youth with varying disabilities can learn and demonstrate new job skills and make new connections. It bridges the communication gap between three distinct groups: businesses, youth and young adults with disabilities, and youth and young adult mentors.
Businesses provide job tasks and judge competitors based on the speed and quality in which they complete a task. Mentors teach these skills to competitors utilizing broken down steps (task analysis), as well as coach and cheer their competitor through each competitive task. Competitors work hard to learn a new skill and demonstrate their mastery of it through a fun, friendly competition.
BE A MENTOR
Be matched with a student with a disability
• Be matched with a student with a disability
• Assist student to learn five job-related skills
• Help student during competition and cheer them on!
• Administer a pre- and post-event survey
• Meet potential employers
• Must be 14-21 years old
A PARTICIPATION STIPEND WILL BE PROVIDED
Discover and develop new job skills
- Learn five job-related skills, while competing with others in a fun competition
- Be matched with a peer mentor, who will help and cheer you on!
- Meet potential employers
- Must be 14-21 years old
- Have an IEP or 504 Plan
- Take a pre and post-event survey
Join with other local businesses for a one day event to showcase the abilities of youth with intellectual and developmental differences!
Participants will rotate through your workstation, competing with others to complete your job task.
Each company will set up a workstation, highlighting a job task that a potential employee would need to complete. Students, ages 14-21, will practice the task and then compete against others.
Each company can expect to have approximately 20 individuals visit their station.
Benefits and Recognition
- Inclusion in media alerts and press releases, listed as a partner in The Arc of South Florida’s website and mentioned on social media before/during/after event.
- Align with your corporate social responsibility goals
- Provide a fun-filled day for employee teambuilding!
- Recognition in the community as a leader for individuals with intellectual and developmental differences.